Full Speed Ahead? Or Check Engine?

As my half marathon training plan starts to wrap up, I have a confession. On many of my training runs I have considered my initial plan of running the 3 races associated with Grandma’s Marathon. And what my next steps should be.

Last year I participated in the William A. Irvin 5k, and in a two and a half weeks I will be completing the second level with the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon. Ideally next year I would participate in the Grandma’s Marathon and officially get all three finished year after year after year.

While I did have a rough run tonight (it really ended up being a walk). I did look up the official date of the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon, as well as Hal Hidgon’s Marathon Training Plan. I even wrote out the dates and realized that the day his plan calls for 12 miles, is the same day of the Lady Speed Stick Women’s Half Marathon in Bloomington.

However, I am not fully confident in my abilities. I am worried that this first half will take a lot out of me, and more worried that I could get injured and not be able to participate in either the half or full. The Hal Higdon plan maxes at 20 miles, and while that is a heck of a long distance, I am concerned about the last 6.2 miles. Based off what I’ve read, there can be quite the formidable wall that racers meet in those last 6.2, and I’m afraid that depending on what happens there, I will not be able to participate in the Grandma’s Marathon next year, and my beautiful 5k, half, full, will be gone.

The other piece of the puzzle is the cost, it is not cheap to get into either race. And while you can save a few pennies by registering early, I have missed that boat. I had been hoping to register in a few drawings at the Grandma’s Expo to win race entries, but now I won’t be attending the expo, so it looks like I’ll be paying full price should I make the decision to participate.

I can’t make this decision on my own, part of me thinks I should go full speed ahead, and the more logical (and/or more negative) part of me thinks I should wait until after the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon to make my decision.

The more logical side is winning for the moment, I’m not signing up tonight (even though all the websites are open on my computer). Instead, I’m going to allow you all to vote!

Thank you!

1 Comment

Don't be afraid, leave a comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s